This recipe is featured in Hobo Stew and Banana Boats
My mother used packaged brown gravy mix from the supermarket in this recipe; at that time there were several popular brands. There is now a wide variety of instant gravy mixes available, including gluten-free organic blends. There are also recipes for making your own, including one that includes coffee and paprika for appetizing color and flavor.
- Servings Serves 4
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 454 grams (1 pound) ground beef
- 227 grams (8 ounces) sliced bacon, pieces separated and quartered
- 56 grams (2 ounces, or about 2 packets) brown gravy mix
- Two 115 grams (15-ounce) cans whole corn, undrained
- Two 115 grams (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Two 115 grams (15-ounce) cans sliced potatoes, drained, or 2 to 3 boiled potatoes, sliced
- Worcestershire sauce
1. In a large soup pot, heat the oil and sauté the onions until tender. Add the ground beef and bacon and cook until the meat is browned and the bacon is beginning to crisp.
2. Add the gravy mix, corn and its liquid, kidney beans, and potatoes. Add just enough water to cover. Simmer until heated through. Season with Worcestershire sauce to taste, and serve.