This recipe is featured in Double Happiness
- Servings Serves 4 as part of a multi-course meal
For the shrimp:
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) egg white
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) all-purpose cornstarch
- Dash baking soda
- Dash garlic salt
- 2.5 ml (½ teaspoon) vegetable oil
- 250 grams (8 ounces) shelled and deveined large-sized raw shrimp
- Oil for frying
For the sauce:
- 60 ml (4 tablespoons) sweetened condensed milk
- 60 ml (4 tablespoons) mayonnaise
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 60 ml (4 tablespoons) store-bought candied walnuts
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg white, cornstarch, baking soda, garlic salt and 2.5 ml (½ teaspoon) oil to form a smooth paste. Add the shrimp and blend to coat very well.
2. In another small bowl, mix together the sweetened condensed milk, mayonnaise and lemon and lime juices until smooth. Set aside.
3. Heat 3.75 cm (1.5 inches) of the oil in a wok or deep skillet to 350°F (175°C). Fry the shrimp until light brown, 3 to 4 minutes, turning as necessary. Remove from the oil and transfer to a paper towel-lined sheet pan. Increase the oil temperature to 190°C (375°F). Cook the shrimp for 1 more minute and remove from wok or skillet. Drain well on a paper towel-lined sheet pan.
4. Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the shrimp and stir until well covered. Place onto a platter, sprinkle the candied walnuts on top and serve immediately with hot steaming rice.