Spring Vegetable Salad with Cucumber, Mint & Snap Peas
This recipe is featured in Turning Kids Into Cooks
Have fun with this salad. Change the ingredients around a bit to make it pleasing to all the cooks and diners. The main flavors that make this dish so good when it’s done are the mint, feta, and lemon. The snap peas are my personal love in this dish, and they are fun to prepare. Use this recipe to practice some knife skills. Cutting cucumbers is great for this. Parents, slice them in half the long way first, lay them on their flat side, and let your kids practice with whatever knife you feel comfortable giving them.
- Servings Makes 6 servings
For the salad:
- 1 medium-sized head young Romaine lettuce, washed and shredded
- 1 cucumber (with skin if it’s tender, or peeled), halved then sliced at an angle
- 113 grams (¼ pound) snap peas, strings removed, slivered
- 6 radishes (or other favorite seasonal vegetable), sliced thinly
- 60 ml (4 tablespoons) chopped parsley
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) chopped fresh mint
- 120 ml (½ cup) crumbled feta cheese
For the dressing:
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) olive oil
1. For the salad: Combine all salad ingredients, and toss lightly to mix.
2. For the dressing: Mix lemon juice with garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste. Whisk in the oil.
3. To serve, discard the garlic, sprinkle the dressing over salad, and toss to mix. Serve immediately.