Smoked Gouda, Bacon, and Caramelized Onion Quiche with Hash Brown Crust
My husband thought of this recipe and I made it happen for him. I posted a picture of it on Facebook and friends asked for the recipe. I’ve gotten more messages from friends about how amazing it was than any other recipe I’ve ever written. (Pats self on back, lol.) Honestly, what’s not to like? A yummy hash brown crust is filled with creamy eggs with smoked Gouda, sweet caramelized onions, and savory bacon. Unless you don’t like bacon, in which case you can skip it! The star is actually the caramelized onions because they give this quiche its incredible flavor. This is great for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. Any potluck would benefit from this unusual dish. I hope you love it as much as we do.
- 710 ml (3 cups) shredded hash brown potatoes (fresh or frozen)
- 113 grams (4 ounces wt) butter, melted
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) vegetable oil
- 2 yellow onions sliced VERY thinly
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) salt
- 4 eggs
- 177 ml (3/4 cup) Half and Half (or an equal mix of heavy cream and milk)
- 8 strips cooked and chopped bacon*
- 237 ml (1 cup) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
*I cook it in the oven while the crust bakes.
- Preheat oven to 218°C (425°F). Mix the shredded hash browns with the melted butter. Press into a 23 cm (9-inch) pie pan and bake until they get a little golden and crispy, 20-25 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 177°C (350°F) for baking the finished quiche.
2. Heat vegetable oil in sauce pan. Spread onions across the bottom and sprinkle with 5 cm (1 teaspoon) of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to brown. Add 237 ml (1 cup) of water and cook until water evaporates. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until the onions are golden brown, like the color of a caramel candy.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs and Half and Half. Add 118 ml (1/2 cup) of the caramelized onions, the chopped crispy bacon, and the grated smoked Gouda. Pour into the hash brown crust and bake at 177°C (350°F) until it puffs up and is set. Serve warm.