Sauce for Mushrooms – Apicius 7.13
This recipe is featured in Flamingo Tongues and Frittatas, The Foods of Ancient Rome
This is a simple but delicious dish that makes an excellent accompaniment for steak.
- Servings 4
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) olive oil
- 454 grams (1 pound) sliced mushrooms (e.g. oyster, cremini, baby portabella, shiitake)
- Pinch of salt
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) vincotto (available on Amazon or at specialty Italian shops)
- 2.5 ml (½ teaspoon) ground black pepper
- 2.5 ml (½ teaspoon) ground coriander
1. Add oil to a hot pan. Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt.
2. Cover pan and let it cook for three minutes on medium heat.
3. Add vincotto, pepper and coriander. Stir to combine.
4. Continue cooking for another three minutes. If the mixture looks dry, add a little bit of water and reduce. Serve hot.