Green Fettucine with Pumpkin Cream Sauce
This recipe is featured in Pumpkin: A Contemplation
- Servings 4
- 454 grams (1 pound) green fettuccine or linguine
- 227 grams (8 ounces) pumpkin purée
- 1 shallot, minced
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) unsalted butter
- Generous pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of allspice
- 237 ml (1 cup) heavy cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 slices prosciutto, julienned
- Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated
- 1 medium tomato, chopped as garnish (optional)
1. Sauté the shallots in the butter until translucent. Add the prosciutto and cook another minute. Add the pumpkin and cook until heated through and just bubbling. Add the heavy cream and bring to a boil. Season with nutmeg, allspice and salt and pepper. Once the sauce has reduced to the desired creaminess, lower flame and keep warm.
2. Cook the pasta in plenty of well salted boiling water until al dente. Drain well and toss with the pumpkin cream sauce. Divide into four warm bowls, sprinkle with Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano and decorate with a little chopped fresh tomato.