Dad’s Kaffir Lime Pie
This recipe is featured in Otherworldly Limes from Warmer Climes
- 4 teaspoons grated zest (two from the skin of kaffir limes, two from the skin of traditional limes. You can use as much as three teaspoons from Kaffir limes, but no more as the flavor will become too floral.)
- 4 large egg yolks
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup juice from 3-4 limes (a mix, as above, of traditional and kaffir limes; the traditional lime will have considerably more juice)
Carr's Whole Wheat Cracker Crust
- 1 ¼ cups Carr’s Whole Wheat Crackers
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 325° F.
1. Whisk zest and yolks together until light green. This usually takes 2-3 minutes. Whisk in the milk, then juice. Set aside.
2. Either by hand or with a food processor break apart the crackers until they become fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar. Add butter, stir until well blended.
3. Pour the crust mixture into a pie pan. Press the crumbs over the bottom and up the sides. Be sure to use the bottom of a glass to press the crumbs firmly together, this will help your crust keep together when serving. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
4. Pour lime filling into crust. Bake until the center is set, yet wiggly when jiggled, about 15 minutes.
5. If desired, top with homemade whipped cream.