Apple Butternut Crumble
This recipe is featured in Paleo Values in a Vegan Diet
This slightly sweet dish is perfect as a side or a healthy dessert!
For the crumble:
- 96 grams* (1 cup) almond flour
- 50 grams (¼ cup) grass-fed ghee or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
For the filling:
- 280 grams (2 cups) shredded butternut squash
- 340 grams (3 cups/about 3 large) shredded Honeycrisp or other sweet apples
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
* Metric conversions provided by The Cook’s Cook
1. Preheat the oven to 177°C (350° F). Mix the ingredients for the crumble and store in the refrigerator once combined. Use a fork or pastry cutter to cut in the cold/firm ghee or butter into the almond flour so it resembles coarse sand.
2. Shred the butternut squash and apples. Combine with remaining ingredients for the filling.
3. Pour the apple-butternut filling into a 32 cm x 24 cm (12 ½” x 9 ½ “) ceramic baking dish and top with the cold crumble topping.
4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the crumble is golden brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.