Citrus-Herb Roasted Beets with Macadamia Ricotta
This recipe is featured in Making Vegan Cheeses
You may not realize it, but beets were meant to be roasted with orange juice and paired with a creamy, tangy cheese. And not just any cheese—macadamia ricotta. It’s true. Macadamias’ mellow, buttery flavor makes for the richest of creamy cheeses, with a taste so subtle the flavors of whatever it’s paired with really shine. What you will remember about the dish, though, is the macadamia ricotta. It’s perfect for salads, sandwiches, creamy sauces, or just eating straight out of the food processor.
- Servings 3 to 4
For the Macadamia Ricotta
- 140 grams (1 cup) raw macadamia nuts, soaked in warm water 1 hour, water reserved
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) lemon juice
- 4 ml (¾ teaspoon) salt
- 2.5 ml (½ teaspoon) white miso
Citrus-Herb Roasted Beets
- Olive oil spray
- 4 large red beets (5 to 6 if they are smaller), peeled, sliced into ¼-inch (1 cm) thick medallions
- 25 ml (½ cup) fresh orange juice
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) apple cider vinegar
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) chopped fresh rosemary
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) chopped fresh thyme
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) maple syrup
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) extra virgin olive oil
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) orange zest
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Orange slices, optional
- For the Macadamia Ricotta: Combine all the ingredients and 20 ml (4 teaspoons) of the reserved soaking water in a food processor. Process until mostly smooth and creamy. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Chill in an airtight container up to 7 to 10 days.
2. For the Citrus-Herb Roasted Beets: Preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F). Lightly spray a 22 x 33 cm (9 x 13 inch) baking dish with olive oil.
3. Place the beet medallions into the dish. Add the orange juice, vinegar, rosemary, thyme, maple syrup, oil, zest, salt, and pepper. Toss the beets to fully coat. It is okay if they overlap. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, flipping them once to ensure even cooking. When they are easily pierced with a fork, remove the pan from the oven.
4. Lay the beet slices on a large serving plate or on individual plates. Crumble the macadamia ricotta over them and garnish with orange slices. Serve immediately.