Sweet Tomato Preserves
This recipe is featured in A Love of Tomatoes
- Prep 30 minutes
- Servings 473 ml (2 cups)
- .9 kg (2 pounds) very ripe meaty tomatoes
- 200 grams (1 cup) sugar
- One 8 cm (3-inch) piece cinnamon stick
- Peel of 1 lemon (yellow skin only)
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) fine salt
1. Remove the stems from the tomatoes. Using a sharp knife, score a slight cross hatch at the base of the tomatoes. Plunge the tomatoes in boiling water for 1 minute. Remove the tomatoes (skin should be starting to separate) and plunge into ice water. Peel off the skins, remove the seeds and coarsely chop the tomatoes. Let the tomatoes sit in a sieve set over a bowl several hours or overnight to drain excess juice.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the tomatoes with the sugar, cinnamon stick, lemon peel and salt. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 to 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened and reduced by about two thirds, 45 minutes to one hour. You should be able to see the bottom of the pot when you draw a flat-sided wooden spatula through the jam.
3. Remove and discard the lemon peel and cinnamon stick. Pack in small jars and store refrigerated, using within 3 weeks.
* The jam will thicken as it cools. Spread on toast, crackers, or use as a filling for cakes.
*This jam can also be canned.