Sharon’s Amazing Chocolate Mousse
This recipe is featured in Simple Recipes for Joy
Reprinted from Simple Recipes for Joy by arrangement with Avery Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2014, Sharon Gannon.
- Servings Serves 15 to 20, depending on the size of the serving cups
- One 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu
- One 14-ounce package firm tofu
- Pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup maple or agave syrup
- 10 ounces canned coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- One 9-ounce bag vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Simple Whipped Cream Topping*, optional
*Recipe for Simple Whipped Cream Topping
1. In the bowl of a food processor place the tofu and salt and process until smooth. Add the maple syrup, coconut milk, vanilla, cocoa powder, and cacao powder and blend again until smooth.
2. In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Add the melted mixture to the food processor and thoroughly blend.
3. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, using a spatula to scrape it all out. Using a hand mixer, whip the mixture at high speed for 3 to 5 minutes to lighten it and add more air. Spoon into serving cups or shallow crystal champagne glasses and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, until cold. Garnish with a dollop of vegan whipped cream, if desired.