Galloping Horses (Mah Haw)
This recipe is featured in Eating the World
- Servings makes 32 pieces
- 1 fresh pineapple or a 567 ml (20-ounce) can of sliced pineapple
- 1 seedless orange
- 4 to 5 sprigs of cilantro
- 1 or 2 red jalapenos or serrano chiles
- 1 clove garlic
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) peanut or canola oil
- 227 grams (8 ounces) ground pork or ground turkey
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) crunchy peanut butter
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) Thai fish sauce
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) light brown or turbinado (raw) sugar
1. If you’re using a fresh pineapple, ask an adult to cut off the top and the bottom inch, and to remove the outer skin. Cut the pineapple in half and remove the hard inner core. You will need 16 pieces of pineapple. Cut off four slices about 1.2 cm (1/2 inch) thick, and cut each one into 4 pieces. If you are using canned pineapple, cut four slices into four pieces.
2. Peel the orange and cut off four 1.2 cm (1/2 inch) thick slices. Cut each slice into 4 pieces.
3. Be sure to wear rubber gloves for the next step, or ask an adult for help in cutting the chilies in half and removing the seeds. The oil in chilies is very hot, so do not put your hands near your face, and wash your hands after you take off the gloves. Cut the chilies into small pieces and set aside.
4. Crush the garlic cloves by pressing hard on it with the side of a large flat knife, and remove the skin. Chop the garlic and set aside. In a small bowl combine the peanut butter with 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of cold water, and mix it until smooth.
5. Heat the oil in a 23 to 25 cm (9 to 10 inch) skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the garlic and ground meat. Stir for 3 to 4 minutes until the meat has lost its pink color. Lower heat to medium and add the peanut butter, fish sauce, sugar, and chopped chilies. Stir to mix well and cook for a few more minutes.
6. Transfer the filling to a bowl and add the chopped cilantro. Mix well and allow to cool completely. It can be refrigerated for up to 1 hour.
7. Arrange the fruit slices alternating pineapple and orange slices. Place a cilantro leaf on each piece of fruit. Top the fruit with some of the meat mixture. Serve at room temperature.