Parrot Cake (for Parrots)
This recipe is featured in We’ll Always Have Parrots...
Metric conversions by The Cook’s Cook
- 237 ml (1 cup) apple juice
- 475 ml (2 cups) parrot food (mix of seed and kibble)
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) peanut butter
- 119 ml (½ cup) coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 large grated carrot (or other veg)
- 119 ml (½ cup) whole-wheat flour
- 237 ml (1 cup) yellow cornmeal
- 237 ml (1 cup) oats
- 237 ml (1 cup) dried coconut
- 30 ml (1/8 cup) crushed red pepper
1. Heat the apple juice with 237 ml (1 cup) water. Pour over parrot food. Leave to soak for at least 30 minutes, mixing occasionally. Add peanut butter, oil and eggs. Mix well. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly into a heavy paste using large spoon or hands, until mixture binds into a soft ball. Add a little more water if too dry.
2. Spread into a large, shallow baking tin greased with coconut oil (mixture should be around 2.5-4 cm/1-1 1/2 inches deep). Bake at 160°C (320 °F) for 50 minutes.
3. Leave to cool completely (preferably overnight) before cutting into very small cubes. Refrigerate and use during the week.