This recipe is featured in An Eid Story
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) basmati rice soaked in 118 ml (½ cup) of water for an hour
- 1 litre (4.2 cups) whole milk
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 1.3 ml (¼ teaspoon) cardamom powder
- 1.2 ml (¼ teaspoon) saffron soaked in 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of lukewarm milk for an hour
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) kewra water (or substitute rosewater), optional
- Sliced green pistachios and dried rose petals for garnishing
- Make a coarse paste of the rice and water.
2. In a heavy-bottomed pan, boil the milk until it is reduced by about a third. Stir in the rice paste slowly and carefully, avoiding lump formation. Stir continuously for 5 minutes, then simmer for another 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
3. Add the sugar, cardamom powder, kewra water (if using) and soaked saffron. Keep stirring and simmering till you get a thick custard.
4. Put in individual bowls, cool, and refrigerate until chilled and firm. Garnish with pistachios and rose petals before serving.