This recipe is featured in West Indian Beach Picnic
- Servings Serves 6
- 500 gram box of sweet tamarind pods
- 4 pieces of star anise
- 2 pieces of cinnamon
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 118 ml (½ cup) simple syrup (1:1 mixture of sugar and water)
- 118 ml (½ cup) brown rum, preferably Mount Gay brand (optional)
1. Shell tamarind pods and put pulp and seeds into a pitcher with the anise and cinnamon sticks. Add 473 ml (2 cups) hot water and leave to soak for one hour.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir rapidly removing some of the pulp from the tamarind.
3. Chill and strain into glasses over ice cubes.