Green Mango Chutney
This chutney is called “green” because it is made with unripe mangoes. Its attractive red color comes from red chili powder.
- 1.4 kg (3 pounds) peeled grated mangoes
- 1.4 kg (3 pounds) sugar
- 57 grams (2 ounces) grated ginger
- 57 grams (2 ounces) grated garlic
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) sea salt
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) red chili powder
- 148 ml (5 ounces) vinegar
- 227 grams (8 ounces) kishmish ~ seedless green dry raisins
In a large saucepan mix the mangoes, sugar, ginger, garlic and salt. Leave covered for a couple of hours. This will help melt the sugar quickly when it is heated.)
Place the pan over low heat, stirring until all the sugar is completely melted. Bring to a boil, cover, and allow to cook for 30 minutes.
In a small pan heat together the chili powder and the vinegar. Cook for 2 minutes and add the raisins.
Add this to the boiling pot of mangoes, mix well, and cook another 30 minutes. Uncover and allow it to thicken to desired consistency.
Transfer to sterilized jars, allowing to cool completely before sealing. Store in refrigerator for up to a year.
Serve as a condiment.