Curried Egg Salad with Mango Chutney, Raisins, and Cashews Open Faced Sandwich
This recipe is featured in The Simple Pleasure of an Open Faced Sandwich
Egg salad is an open-faced sandwich favorite all over the Western world, and I love it in every rendition. This one is a takeoff of one of my favorite chicken salads. I line the bread with watercress for some color and crunch, but if you can’t find it, use baby spinach leaves instead. I prefer Major Grey’s chutney, which is a type of chutney rather than a brand, and is made by several manufacturers, but feel free to use whatever mango chutney you like. Try this for brunch, lunch, or supper. Pair this with a bone-dry white Kerner from the Alto Adige in Italy.
- Servings 4 Toasts
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 59 ml* (¼ cup) mango chutney, preferably Major Grey’s
- 59 ml (¼ cup) mayonnaise
- 59 ml (¼ cup) minced celery
- 44 ml (3 tablespoons) golden raisins
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) minced green onion
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) yellow curry powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices whole-wheat or whole-grain sandwich bread
- 1 bunch watercress, tender stems and leaves only
- 59 ml (4 tablespoons) chopped roasted, salted cashews
*Metric conversions by The Cook’s Cook
1. Chop eggs and place in a bowl. Add chutney, mayonnaise, celery, raisins, green onion, and curry powder; mix well. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to meld flavors.
2. Toast bread. Arrange toasts on a platter or individual plates. Line each toast with watercress. Mound egg salad atop watercress. Sprinkle 15 ml (1 tablespoon) cashews over each toast and serve.