Mango Macaron Torte
- 6 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 2.5 ml (½ teaspoon) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (½ teaspoon) vanilla extract
- 296 ml (1¼ cups) fine white sugar
- 156 ml (⅔ cup) crushed almonds
- 156 ml (⅔ cup) crushed cream (unsalted) crackers/biscuits
- 237 ml (1 cup) heavy cream, chilled
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) fine white sugar
- 473 ml (2 cups) diced fresh mangoes or other fruit (optional)
- Finely julienned fresh mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
For the torte:
Preheat oven to 177° C (350° F). Oil or butter a 23 cm (9-inch) springform pan, and set aside.
In a bowl, beat egg whites and baking power with an electric whisk. Add vanilla. In a gentle slow stream add sugar. Turn the machine off. With a spatula or spoon gently fold in almonds and cream cracker biscuits.
Transfer to the spring form pan and spread evenly, making a slight depression in the center to hold the fruit after baking.
Bake until lightly golden and dry on the surface, about 25 minutes.
Wait for 2 minutes and overturn the cake if it is in a cake pan or open up the spring form pan. Cool completely before icing.
For the topping:
Beat chilled cream and sugar until it forms soft peaks. Spoon it on the cooled cake, topping with freshly peeled mangoes in cubes with more fresh mangoes to serve on the side. If desired, sprinkle with fresh mint.