Poached Tuna Treat for Cats
This recipe is featured in How to Cook for Your Pet
From How to Cook for Your Pet (Strategic Book Group), by Dr. Amy Cousino.
[amazon_link asins=’1606933752′ template=’ProductAd’ store=’thec0b6-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’8000138b-05dd-11e8-99b3-c3f05518e537′]
- 90 grams (½ cup) thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- Pinch of sea salt
- 113 grams (4 ounces) fresh tuna, bones and skin removed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 110 grams (¼ cup) thawed frozen peas
1. Fill a sauce pan with 473 ml (2 cups) of water. Add the potatoes and salt. Bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and add the tuna and oil. Simmer (do not boil) just until tuna flakes easily with a fork, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, add the peas, and allow to sit, covered, for five minutes.
3. To serve, strain the tuna, potatoes, and peas into a bowl, reserving the broth. Mix with a fork, adding cooking broth as needed to moisten. Serve after cooling.
Nutrition Facts and Feeding Guide
Total fat 10 grams 24%
Total carbohydrate 29.5 grams 35%
Fiber 6 grams
Total Protein 28.6 grams 35%
4.5 kg (10 pounds) Adult spayed cat @ 283 calories per day
Recipe makes enough for one day, plus leftovers
Triple the recipe to make enough for 3-1/2 days.
Supplies Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iodine