Sous Vide Steelhead Trout with Pistachios & Red Currant Sauce
For this recipe you will need the following specialized equipment or the equivalent substitutions.
An 8-quart or larger container, such as a polycarbonate bin, suitable for using for sous vide
Frieling Sous Vide Stick
Frieling Vacuum/Sous Vide Sealer and bag
9.5-inch Woll eco-LITE Sauté Pan
11-inch Woll eco-LITE Sauté Pan
For more information about Frieling and eco-LITE cookware, visit: https://thecookscook.com/marketplace/cookware/frieling-sous-vide-woll-eco-lite-pans/
- Servings 2 to 4
For the Steelhead Trout:
- Two 136-227 gram (1/3-1/2 pound) fillets of steelhead trout
- 118 ml (1/2 cup) finely chopped pistachio nuts
- 28.4 grams (2 tablespoons) butter
For the Red Currant Sauce:
- 42.5 grams (3 tablespoons) butter
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) finely chopped shallots
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) Grand Marnier or dry sherry
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) red currant jelly
- For the steelhead trout: Fill a large container with water and set up the sous vide stick according to manufacturer’s directions. Set the temperature to 120°F, and allow to preheat.
2. Place the trout fillets in a bag suitable for vacuum sealing. Seal the bag in a light setting for moist foods according to manufacturer’s directions. When the temperature reaches 120°F, place the bag in the water so that it is completely submerged, and allow to cook for 45 minutes. While the trout is cooking, prepare the pistachio red currant sauce.
3. For the red currant sauce: In a small sauté pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the shallots and sauté until tender, 1-2 minutes. Add the Grand Marnier and red currant jelly, and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside; cover pan to keep warm.
4. When the trout is cooked, remove it from the vacuum bag and place flesh-side-up on a plate. Scatter with pistachios and press them gently so they adhere.
5. Melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the trout fillets with the pistachio-coated sides down. Cook only until the nuts are toasted, about 1 minute. Using a spatula, carefully turn the fillets and continue to cook until the fillets are heated through, 1-2 more minutes.
6. Place the fillets on plates for serving, and drizzle with pistachio red currant sauce. Serve hot.