This recipe is from The Fresh Egg Cookbook by Jennifer Trainer Thompson, published by Storey Publishing, LLC.
- Servings Makes 12 egg halves
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 - 3 tablespoons mayonnaise or sour cream or a combination
- 1 tablespoon minced white onion, scallion, or chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons large-grain caviar
- 12 small dill or flat-leaf parsley sprigs (optional)
1. Peel the eggs and cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop out the yolks and mix in a bowl with the mayonnaise and onion until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste, remembering that caviar is salty. Transfer to a pastry bag and pipe into the halved egg whites, or (if you don’t have a pastry bag) mound the filling gently into the egg whites.
2. Just before serving, scoop a bit of caviar on top of each egg half (you can have fun with the caviar colors) and decorate each half with a sprig of dill.