Maddogmom’s Homemade Granola Bars
This recipe is featured in Camping and Cooking with Kids
Recipe reprinted from The Down and Dirty Guide to Camping with Kids (Roost Books 2012). Metric conversions added by The Cook‘s Cook.
- Servings Serves 6
- 70 grams (½ cup) almonds
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, plus oil for pan
- 90 grams (1 cup) rolled oats
- 25 grams (1½ cups) unsweetened puffed cereal
- 60 grams (½ cup) dried cranberries
- 75 grams (½ cup) raisins
- 4 tablespoons (¼ cup) roasted sunflower seeds
- 4 tablespoons (¼ cup) protein powder
- 177 ml (¾ cup) brown rice syrup
- 118 ml (½ cup) almond butter
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1. Lightly oil a 23 x 33 cm (9 x 13 inch) baking pan.
2. Coarsely chop the almonds. In a large bowl, combine oats, cereal, dried fruit, sunflower seeds, almonds, and protein powder. Toss to coat the fruit. Separate any sticky bits.
3. In a saucepan on medium heat, combine the oil and rice syrup and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low. Add the almond butter and cinnamon, and stir until smooth, then remove from heat.
4. Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Dump the mixture into the pan; press it flat with a spatula. Bake at 177° C (350° F) for 15-20 minutes.
5. Let bars cool in pan. Using a stiff spatula, loosen the entire rectangle and pop it onto a cutting board. Cut into squares.