Fall Suet Cake for the Birds
This recipe is featured in Making Fat Into Suet Cakes, The Best No-Waste Idea Yet
This recipe will be sure to attract new avian friends to your backyard as temperatures begin to drop.
- .45 kg (1 pound) ground beef or bacon
- 59 ml (¼ cup) black oil sunflower seeds
- 59 ml (¼ cup) pumpkin seeds
- 59 ml (¼ cup) old fashioned oats
- 45 grams (3 tablespoons) sunflower seeds
- 45 grams (3 tablespoons) cranberries
- 45 grams (3 tablespoons) crushed eggshells
- 45 grams (3 tablespoons) peanuts
1. Fry the ground beef or bacon. Pour only the excess fat directly into a container; reserve remaining meat for another purpose. Mix in bird-friendly ingredients while the fat is still liquid and then freeze.
2. Once hardened, the suet cake can be released from its mold and placed outside.