Vietnamese Summer Rolls
I like Vietnamese summer rolls any time, but tend to make them as soon as warm weather arrives. It’s a great lunch item, not too heavy, but very tasty! I love all the fresh veggies and herbs in it. I personally love the mint and think it is what makes these Vietnamese summer rolls very fresh tasting! And do not skip the peanut sauce — the flavor is amazing!
Editor’s note: If you’d like to offer a choice of dipping sauces, Nuoc Cham is another great dipping sauce for Vietnamese summer rolls.
For the spring rolls:
- 1 package rice noodles
- 12 rice paper wrappers
- 24 medium-large cooked shrimp
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) toasted sesame oil
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Half a cucumber, thinly sliced
- Half a red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- Half an avocado, thinly sliced
- Handful of each: fresh mint, cilantro, basil
For the peanut dipping sauce:
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) smooth peanut butter
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) soy sauce
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) fish sauce
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) hoisin sauce
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) chili garlic sauce
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) rice vinegar
- 1-2 crushed garlic cloves
- Cook noodles according to package directions (usually just dropping in boiling water for 2-3 minutes). Drain, and toss them with sesame oil, and set aside.
2. Using a shallow bowl or skillet filled with a few tablespoons of warm water for dipping, dunk one rice paper in the water for 2-3 seconds and then place on a board.
3. Add 2 shrimp toward bottom of the round rice paper, then top with some noodles. Place veggies, avocado and fresh herbs on top of the noodles, using just a few pieces of each.
4. Fold the bottom of the rice paper just over the filling, then fold each side in and roll the rest until it is neatly packed in. The rolls will keep for about 2 days if refrigerated in an airtight container.
5. For the peanut dipping sauce: In a small bowl combine the peanut butter with 30 ml (2 tablespoons) warm water. Whisk until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and whisk again, adding more water if needed for the desired consistency. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until needed.