Bean and Vegetable Salad with Toasted Rice
This a delicious salad with many colorful ingredients that include different colored beans and yellow peppers. A very special “bite” comes from the roasted rice. It gives the salad a crunchy touch and makes use of leftover rice. This salad is especially suitable for parties or unexpected visitors, because it is very quickly conjured up from supplies on hand.
- Servings 6-8 people
For the salad:
- 439 grams (15.5 ounce) can kidney beans
- 439 grams (15.5 ounce) can mixed chili beans
- 439 grams (15.5 ounce) can black beans
- 439 grams (15.5 ounce) can chickpeas
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) cooked and cooled white rice
For the dressing:
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) apple cider vinegar
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) plain yogurt
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) hot mustard
- 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) curry powder
- 90 ml (6 tablespoons) sunflower oil
- Fine salt and finely ground black pepper, to taste
- Chili powder or cayenne pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180° C (350°F). Pour the kidney beans, chili beans, black beans, and chickpeas into a strainer and rinse with cold water. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl. Add the chilies, yellow pepper, and paprsley, and toss to mix.
2. Spread the rice on a baking sheet* and roast until lightly browned and crisp, 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the vinegar, yogurt, mustard, curry powder, and 45 ml (3 tablespoons) cold water. Whisk to blend. Drizzle in the oil, whisking vigorously to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper to taste, adding chili powder or cayenne pepper for additonal heat.
4. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss lightly to mix well. Transfer to a serving bowl or individual plates, topping with roasted rice.
*Lumps are fine, as the toasted rice is easily crumbled with your fingers.