Non-Alcoholic Ginger Beer
This recipe is featured in Brewer's Choice
- 227 grams (8 ounces) ginger, peeled and sliced
- ½ jalapeño, sliced (optional)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- One 11.5 grams packet ale yeast
- 7 teaspoons sugar
1. Place the ginger and jalapeño in a large pot with 3.8 liters (1 gallon) of water and simmer gently for 30 minutes. If you smell the ginger, turn down the heat, because the more you smell now, the less you’ll taste in the final product.
2. Turn off the heat, and strain the ginger and jalapeño from the water.
3. Add the lemon juice, and let the liquid cool to room temperature.
4. Stir in the yeast, cover, and let stand overnight.
5. To bottle, stir in the sugar, then pour into Champagne-style bottles, beer bottles, or soda bottles and cork or cap the bottles.
6. Store bottles in a dark, cool place for a minimum of 2 weeks to allow the sugar to carbonate the beer, the yeast to settle to the bottom, and the flavors to mix.
7. Chill and serve.