Chocolate Beer-Batter Cake
Adapted from Nigella Lawson’s Chocolate Guinness Cake
- 250 ml (1½ cups) Throwback Brewery Chocolate Peanut Butter Imperial Stout, or Cranberry-Ginger Ale, or other beer of choice
- 250 grams (8 ounces) unsalted butter
- 75 grams (¾ cup) dark cocoa powder
- 400 grams (2 cups) superfine sugar
- 142 ml (½ cup) sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) vanilla extract
- 275 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 7.5ml (2½ teaspoons) baking soda
- 113 grams (4 ounces) dark chocolate
- 113 grams (4 ounces) white chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C /350ºF. Butter a 23 cm (9 inch) springform tin.
2. Pour the beer and butter into a large wide saucepan. Heat until the butter is melted. Whisk in cocoa and sugar.
3. Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla and then add to the saucepan.
4. Whisk in the flour and baking soda.
5. Pour the cake batter into the greased pan. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Cool completely in the pan on a cooling rack.
6. When the cake is cold, melt the dark and white chocolates, then drizzle over the cake.