Mint Almond Hummus
This mint-flavored hummus couldn’t be easier — just combine everything and grind. Almonds add nutrition as well as flavor, and it is completely gluten free and vegan.
- 118 ml (1/2 cup) dried chickpeas, or soaked and boiled or 355 ml (1 1/2 cups) canned chickpeas
- 118 ml (1/2 cup) fresh mint leaves
- 59 ml (1/4 cup) sliced almonds
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) finely chopped raw mango (or substitute lemon juice)
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) fresh lemon juice
- 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) ground cumin
- 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) ground black pepper
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 1 fresh green chili pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) tahini or toasted sesame seeds, optional
- Pink salt or sea salt, as needed
1. If using dried chickpeas, rinse and soak them overnight with sufficient water. Drain the water and wash again. Boil the soaked chickpeas with 591 ml (2 1/2 cups) water in a pressure cooker. After 1 whistle reduce the heat and cook on simmer for 30 – 40 minutes or till chickpeas becomes soft. Check by pressing with your finger tips.
2. After boiling, chickpeas will have increased in volume to 355 ml (1 1/2 cups). Don’t discard the water of boiled chickpeas; reserve it for grinding. If desired, you can peel and discard the outer layer of boiled chickpeas for a smoother puree, but this is not necessary. Reserve a few small chickpeas for garnishing.
3. In a blender or food processor combine the remaining chickpeas (or 355 ml /1 1/2 cups canned), mint leaves, almonds, mango, lemon juice, cumin, black pepper, 30 ml (2 tablespoons) olive oil, chili, garlic, tahini (if using), and salt. Adjust seasonings as desired. You can add more garlic if you like the flavor. If you want your hummus spicy add one more green chili.
4. Add a little water from the boiled chickpeas and grind everything till smooth. Add chickpea water as required to make the mixture creamy. Adjust salt and lemon juice as needed. Pour the hummus in a bowl or plate, and drizzle with a little little olive oil. Garnish with reserved chickpeas, chili flakes and mint leaves. Serve as a dip or store refrigerated in an airtight container. Serve chilled or at room temperature.