- Servings Serves 6
- 118 ml (1/2 cup) juice and grated zest from 2 lemons
- 118 ml (1/2 cup) apple cider or rum or off-dry wine such as a Riesling
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) sugar
- 473 ml (2 cups) heavy cream
- 1.2 ml (1/4 teaspoon) nutmeg
1. In a large mixing bowl, place the lemon juice and zest, apple cider or rum or wine, and sugar. Cover, and refrigerate for about an hour.
2. Add the cream to the mixing bowl, and beat with an electric mixer until it is thick. Pour it into glasses and sprinkle a little nutmeg into each glass. You can serve the syllabub right away, or leave it in the refrigerator for a few hours.
Instead of using an electric mixer, you can have fun beating the cream the old-fashioned way, by hand. Choose the deepest mixing bowl you have and the largest whisk that will fit in it. Start by whisking slowly, moving the whisk in a circle around the inside surface of the bowl. When you are used to the motion, go faster. The faster you whisk, the faster the cream will thicken.