Sweet & Spicy Stir-Fried Cabbage
This Stir-Fried Cabbage is crunchy, tender, sweet and spicy all at the same time and so easy to make too. It may be odd to say that you crave cabbage, but after one bite, that’s just what you’ll be doing!
- Servings 4
- 1 Savoy cabbage (or Napa or green cabbage)
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) low-sodium soy sauce
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) mirin
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon, packed) dark brown sugar
- Pinch or two red pepper flakes
- Using a sharp knife, cut the cabbage in half and cut a v-shaped wedge into the core to remove it. Now, place the cabbage cut side down and cut very thin slices to shred it.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and stir constantly for about 30 seconds. Add the cabbage—it may seem like too much for the pan, but as it cooks, it will wilt.
3. Cover the pan for 1 minute and then toss the mixture with tongs. Add the soy sauce and toss for about 1 minute, then add the mirin, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes and continue to toss.
4. Turn the heat a little higher and cook until cabbage is tender but still a bit crisp, another minute or two. Serve immediately.