Cajun Sausage Stew
This Cajun sausage stew could hardly be easier to prepare. Once the meats and onion are browned, the remaining ingredients are added to the pot and simmer for an hour or two, filling the kitchen with the heady aroma of bubbling stew. The recipe calls for Cajun seasoning, a spice blend with paprika, celery seed, garlic, basil, cayenne, white pepper, thyme and parsley.
Serve Cajun sausage stew with toasted crusty bread topped with butter and a dash or two of kosher salt.
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) coconut oil or other oil
- Half an onion, chopped
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) minced garlic
- 227 grams (1/2 pound) ground pork
- 227 grams (1/2 pound) spicy smoked sausage links, sliced
- 283 grams (10 ounces) canned diced tomatoes
- 113 grams (4-ounces) canned green chilies
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 small head of cabbage, cored and sliced
- 1.4 liters (6 cups) beef stock or 3 beef bouillon cubes dissolved in 6 cups water
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried parsley
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) Cajun seasoning spice blend
- 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) Italian seasoning
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) salt, or to taste
- 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) ground black pepper, or to taste
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) minced fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large wide soup pot, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic, ground pork, and sliced sausage, and saute until the onion is tender and the meats are browned.
2. Add the tomatoes, chiles, potato, carrot, and cabbage. Add the beef stock or bouillon, dried parsley, Cajun seasoning, and Italian seasoning. Stir, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Simmer the stew until the vegetables are softened and the mixture has thickened, about an hour or two. Serve hot, garnished with fresh parsley.