Kale (Swiss Chard or Spinach) Frittata
This recipe is featured in CSA: What is That?
Kale can be used in many egg-based dishes (omelets, quiches, frittatas) where Swiss chard or spinach are called for. These three green vegetables are a powerhouse of nutrition.
- Servings Serves 4
- 6 eggs
- 79 ml (⅓ cup) shredded Parmesan cheese, plus additional as needed
- 237 ml (1 cup) cooked kale (or Swiss chard or spinach), finely chopped and drained
- 118 ml (½ cup) finely chopped cooked potatoes (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
1. Beat the eggs in a bowl, stir in 79 ml (⅓ cup) of the cheese, greens and cooked potatoes (if desired). Season with salt and pepper.
2. In a 20 cm (8-inch) skillet heat the olive oil, lightly sauté the onion, then pour in the egg mixture. Swirl the pan with a spatula until the mixture is set. Lift the pan from side to side to let the uncooked egg run underneath.
3. When the eggs are almost set, put the pan under the broiler to cook the top for 1-3 minutes. Watch carefully! Sprinkle with additional Parmesan, cut into wedges and serve at once.