This recipe is featured in French Toast
- Servings Serves 2 to 4
- 4 large eggs
- 355 ml (1½ cups) milk
- 1.2 ml (¼ teaspoon) vanilla extract (optional)
- 4 large 1.3 cm (½-inch) thick slices of challah, Pullman, or other bread
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) butter
Toppings: Cinnamon sugar, maple syrup, fruit syrup, fruit preserves, berries or diced fresh fruit
1. In a large bowl, combine the eggs and milk. Add the vanilla if you like. Whisk until blended.
2. Pour into a wide shallow pan about 20 by 25 cm (8 by 10 inches) and 5 cm (2 inches) high. Add the bread slices in a single layer and allow them to soak for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn them over and soak for 2 to 3 minutes more.
3. Put a large nonstick pan over medium heat, and melt the butter. Add the bread slices and let them sit until browned, about 3 minutes. Turn them over and brown the other sides. Put them on a warm platter and serve them with the topping of your choice.