This recipe is featured in A Holy Experience
- Servings Makes 20
- 6 eggs
- ½ liter (2 cups) milk
- 118 ml (½ cup) sweet wine
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) ground cinnamon
- ¼ liter (1 cup) olive oil
- ¼ kilo (¾ cup) honey, or as needed
- 20 slices torrija bread, sliced (or any dense bread that will not break apart after being soaked in milk)
1. Set aside two large sauté pans. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs; set aside. In a separate large bowl, combine the milk, wine, and cinnamon. Stir well and set aside.
2. Add the oil to a sauté pan and place over medium-high heat. While it heats, place the honey and 1 cup water in the other sauté pan and heat until simmering.
3. Dip a slice of torrija bread and dip it in the milk mixture, making sure it is well soaked. Next, dip it in the egg so that it is covered on both sides. Gently place it in the pan with the oil and fry until it is golden brown. Finally, place it in the pan with honey, making sure it is well coated. Place on a plate and repeat as needed.