This recipe is featured in Postcard from a Private Chef
- 600 grams (1.3 pounds) fresh stoned (pitted) cherries
- 6 tablespoons kirsch
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) plus 3 tablespoons demerera sugar
- 20 grams (7 ounces) salted butter, melted, plus additional for greasing pan
- 2 medium eggs
- 180 ml (6 ounces) milk
- 100 ml (3.4 ounces) single (light) cream, plus additional for serving
- 50 grams (1.7 ounces) plain (all-purpose) flour
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
1. Macerate the cherries in the kirsch and 3 tablespoons of the demerera sugar. Leave this at room temperature for as long as possible (this can be done the day before if you have time).
2. Preheat oven to 177° C (350° F). Butter a round 25 cm (10 inch) baking dish and sprinkle it with some of the remaining demerera sugar.
3. In a mixing bowl combine the eggs, milk, cream, melted butter, and orange zest. Briefly whisk in the flour (this is best done by dumping the flour in the middle of the liquid and whisking at first only in the middle then gradually incorporating the rest). Pour the cherries and their juice into the prepared baking dish. Pour the batter on top.
4. Bake until golden but still a little wobbly in the middle, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and then leave to rest for at least 15 minutes. Serve with lashing of cream.