This recipe is featured in Southern Poverty Food: How the Other 90% Ate
- Ham hock
- Salt and pepper
- 473 ml (2 cups) dried crowder peas
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic clove
- Thyme sprigs
- Small okra pods or sliced okra, optional
- In a large pot combine the ham hock, salt and pepper as desired, and water to cover. Bring to a boil, and boil until ham hock is fork-tender, about 1 hour.
2. While the ham hock boils, dice the onion and peel and crush the garlic.
3. Once ham hock is tender add the peas, onion, and garlic. Season with thyme and marjoram to taste.
4. Return to a boil and test peas after approximately 1 hour. Peas should crush easily with a pinch.
5. Once peas are tender, add okra if using. Remove pot from heat, add okra, and cover, allowing the okra to cook on the residual heat until tender.