Smoked Venison Sausage Casserole
This recipe is featured in Finding a Closer Connection with our Food
This is a lovely, easy recipe for a sausage casserole that is pretty much a meal in one dish. Smoked venison sausages are delicious here. This is a great recipe to feed the crowds.
- Servings 4
- 6-8 smoked venison sausages
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 400 grams (about 2 cups) best-quality canned tomatoes, chopped
- 400 grams (about 2 cups) canned butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small glass (½ cup) red wine
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Pinch caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1. Start by pan-frying or barbequing the sausages to brown the skins. Set aside.
2. Separately, take a large, lidded metal pan and add the oil and garlic. Cook over a gently heat until the garlic smells fragrant.
3. Add the remaining ingredients, stir well, and allow to bubble away for at least 15 minutes until it has thickened a little. Stir again, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed and add the sausages. Place the lid on your pan and allow to cook for anything from 40 minutes to four hours. Serve on its own, with some great bread or potatoes and green vegetables.