Fudgy Cardamom Squares (Vegan Kalakand)
This recipe is featured in Throw an Indian Party, Inside or Out
These fudgy squares use ground-up almonds to mimic the texture and taste of the khoa (milk solids) in the common milk burfis. It may be hard to believe that it works, but it does! Try it.
Recipe from Vegan Richa’s Indian Kitchen Copyright © 2015 by Richa Hingle. Used by permission Vegan Heritage Press, LLC.
- Servings Makes 12 or more
- ½ cup* almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vegan butter or safflower oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar, or as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 cup ground raw or blanched almonds or fine almond meal
- ¼ cup oat flour
- ⅓ cup or more coconut flour
- Seeds from 4 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
*Metric Conversions by The Cook’s Cook:
1 teaspoon = 5 ml
1 tablespoon = 15 ml
2 tablespoons = 30 ml
¼ cup rice flour = 40 grams
¼ cup oat flour = 23 grams
⅓ cup coconut flour = 37 grams
½ cup sugar = 100 grams
½ cup chickpea flour = 46 grams
¾ cup all-purpose flour = 90 grams
½ cup = 118 ml
1 cup = 237 ml
300°F = 149°C
425°F = 218°C
¼ inch = .6 cm
1 inch = 2.5 cm
1. Preheat the oven to 149°C/300°F. Combine almond milk, oil, sugar, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Mix well to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a bubbling boil, about 4 minutes.
2. Continue to boil the mixture for 2 minutes. Take off heat and mix in the cardamom powder. Cool for 5 minutes.
3. Add ground almonds, oat flour, ⅓ cup coconut flour, and cardamom seeds to the saucepan. Mix well to form a soft dough. Add 1 tablespoon more coconut flour if the mixture is too wet. Mix and let sit for a minute before adding more. The mixture will continue to get less wet as it sits. Taste and add 1 tablespoon more sugar if you like it sweeter.
4. Pat the sticky dough onto a parchment-lined sheet and shape into a ¼-inch thick square. Cut into 1-inch squares using a knife or a pizza cutter.
5. Bake for 16 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush almond milk or oil on top. Cool completely before serving or storing. Store on the counter for a day and refrigerated for up to 7 days.