Nana’s Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake
The author’s mother-in-law, Barb Remes, made this cake for years. She got the recipe from her friend Shelly Hammerslag, who got the original recipe from her Aunt Bea Weiss. It’s likely that people have enjoyed this cake since the Roosevelt administration.
- 113 grams ( 4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 237 ml (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 473 ml (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) baking soda
- 2.5 ml (½ teaspoon) baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Oil, butter, or nonstick spray for greasing pan
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) vanilla extract
- 237 ml (1 cup) sour cream
- 237 ml (1 cup) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 177°C (350°F). Cream the butter, eggs and sugar. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Grease a 20 cm x 7.7 cm (8”x 3”) loaf pan or tube pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- Whisk vanilla into sour cream. Add sifted ingredients to creamed ingredients, alternating dry ingredients with the sour cream/vanilla. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, smooth top, and bake until a toothpick or tester inserted into the center comes out dry, about 1 hour.