Micronesian Fish with Coconut Milk and Lime
This recipe is featured in Breadfruit and Fruit Bat - Tastes of Micronesia
The perfect combination of island flavors is a favorite Micronesian meal: fish with coconut milk and lime.
- Servings Serves 4
- Olive oil
- 907 g (2 pounds) cod or haddock (or any white-fleshed fish)
- 355 ml (1½ cups) coconut milk
- Juice and finely grated zest from 2 limes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 4 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno pepper, depending on how spicy you like it
- Salt and pepper
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- 1 lime, quartered lengthwise, for serving
1 . Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F. Lightly oil a baking dish or iron skillet. (To be authentic, use an iron skillet.) Place fish in the skillet and pour the coconut milk over the fish.
2. Pour lime juice over the fish and sprinkle with grated lime zest. Sprinkle with onion and jalapeno, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Bake for 15 minutes, then spoon the pan juices over the fish, being careful not to wash away onion/pepper topping. Bake until the fish is opaque and flaky all the way through, about another 15 minutes. To serve, spoon juices from the pan over the fish, and serve each portion with rice and a wedge of lime.