Sockeye Salmon with Sautéed Veggies & Red Lentils
I wrote this for an episode of my cooking show, Tisha’s Table. I am always looking for tasty ways to eat healthy without depriving myself, so the combination of fish, lentils, and veggies was a natural fit. These are foods I love, and this recipe is low carb and waist-friendly. It turned out to be one fantastic tasty dish.
- Servings 4
For the salmon:
- 113-143 grams (4-5 ounces wt.) sockeye or Atlantic salmon fillets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 237 ml (1 cup) soy sauce
- 106 grams (½ cup) brown sugar
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) rice vinegar
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) canola oil, plus additional for oiling pan
- 5-10 ml (1-2 teaspoons) sesame oil
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) ginger paste
- 3 shakes of fish sauce
- Sesame seeds, as needed, for garnish
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) roughly chopped cashew nuts, for garnish
- 1-2 scallions, sliced, for garnish
For the vegetables:
- 118 ml (½ cup) red lentils, boiled for 10 minutes, drained and seasoned with salt, pepper & olive oil
- Salt and black pepper as needed
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) extra-virgin olive oil
- Canola oil or other vegetable oil, as needed
- 2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise and cut in half moons
- 113 grams (4 ounces wt.) grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 scallions, roughly chopped
- 227 grams (8 ounces wt.) snow peas
- For the salmon: Season the salmon to taste with salt and pepper. In a ziplock bag, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, 30 ml (2 tablespoons) canola oil, sesame oil, ginger paste, and fish sauce. Add the fish, and squeeze out as much air as you can. Marinate for at least 20, but no more than 30 minutes.
2. Coat the bottom of a non-stick pan with oil and turn the heat to medium-high. Once the pan is hot, place the fish meat side down for 3-4 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. Flip one time and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. While the fish is cooking, prepare the vegetables.
3. To prepare the vegetables: Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add 118 ml (½ cup) red lentils and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well, and season with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
4. Coat the bottom of a large sauté pan or skillet with vegetable oil and place over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the zucchini. Sauté for 3 minutes and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes, 3 chopped scallions, and snow peas. Cook for a few more minutes, turn off the heat, and mix in the cooked lentils. Transfer to a platter and top with the salmon. Garnish with sesame seeds, cashews, and chopped scallions.