Koya Dofu (Freeze-Dried Tofu)
This recipe is featured in Cooking Dinner in Tokyo: A Seasoned Traveler Gets a Taste for Local Flavor
by Akiko Ohashi
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 4 packaged, freeze-dried tofu pieces
- 15 grams (½ ounce) kombu (dried sea kelp)
- 3-4 grams (¼ cup) bonito flakes
- 10 small shishito peppers
- 66 grams (6 tablespoons) sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake
- Pinch of salt
1. Soak shiitake mushrooms in 237 ml (1 cup) of water for 30-45 minutes, then remove the mushrooms and reserve the liquid.
2. Dip the freeze-dried tofu in water just until soft, and gently wring out like a sponge.
3. Prepare dashi broth: Pour the reserved mushroom liquid into a small saucepan and add 473 ml (2 cups) water and the kombu. Place over low heat and bring to a simmer. Immediately remove the kombu and stir in the bonito flakes. Return to a simmer, then remove from heat and strain through a filter into a clean pan; discard the solids.
4. Add the freeze dried tofu, shiitake mushrooms, shishito peppers, sugar, soy sauce, sake, and salt. Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
5. Serve as a soup or slice the tofu into strips and arrange on a plate.