Easy Pasta with Tomato & Basil
- 473 ml (1 pint) cherry tomatoes
- Small bunch of fresh basil leaves, as needed
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) minced garlic
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, as needed
- 3-4 large eggs
- 237 ml (1 cup) grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) onion powder
- (1 pound) spaghetti
- Fresh basil and sliced cherry tomatoes, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 177°C (350°F). Cut 6-8 cherry tomatoes in half and place on baking sheet. Add 3-4 basil stems (also cut in half) and garlic. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss everything together on the sheet to coat well with oil and seasonings. Bake until softened and starting to brown, 15-20 minutes
2. While the tomatoes and basil are roasting, place a pot of water over high heat and salt lightly (about 5 ml (1 teaspoon salt). Dice 3-4 cherry tomatoes and set aside. Dice 5-7 basil leaves and set aside. Crack the eggs into a bowl and lightly mix. Add the cheese, and onion powder, and mix until well combined. Set aside at room temperature.
3. When the water comes to a boil, add the noodles and cook until al dente (tender but still firm). Set aside 1 cup of the pasta water, then drain the pasta. While pasta is still piping hot, add the egg mixture and toss until noodles are well coated. Add the cup of reserved water if you wish to thin the sauce.
4. Season the pasta and sauce with salt and pepper as needed. Add the hot tomato and basil mixture, along with any juices on the baking sheet, and toss to combine. Add the fresh diced tomato and basil. If desired, garnish with a basil leaf and some sliced cherry tomato. Serve hot.