This recipe is featured in Elva’s Cornbread Dressing
- White Lily cornbread mix
- 4 or 5 stalks of celery, washed, stringed and chopped
- 1 large inion or 2 or 3 small onions, chopped
- Chicken broth, as needed
- 2-3 extra-large eggs
- Poultry seasoning
- Sage, to taste
- 15 ml m(1 tablespoon) baking powder
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) onion powder
- 1 to 2 cans undiluted cream of chicken soup
- Salt and black pepper
- White bread slices, dried in the oven or left out overnight
- 60 ml (4 tablespoons) melted butter, optional
- Prepare and bake cornbread according to package instructions in a 23 x 33 cm (9 x 13 inch) pan.
2. Boil the chopped celery and onion in a separate pan with enough chicken broth to cover until tender. Use a stick blender to make the chop “finer” if desired.
3. Mix in a large bowl the eggs, poultry seasoning, sage, baking powder, onion powder and cream of chicken soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the crumbled up breads (save some for snacking on while you cook) and vegetable mixture, and the optional melted butter, if used. The mixture should be wet (soupy) – add another can of soup if necessary.
4. Bake in a greased pan 177°C (350°F) until set, 25-30 minutes. Don’t overcook!