This recipe is featured in A Guide to Eating Beans, Nuts and Seeds
- Servings Serves 6
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 celery root, diced
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 60 ml (¼ cup) plus 15 ml (1 tablespoon) extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) sea salt
- 1 ml (¼ teaspoon) ground cinnamon
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) paprika
- 1 ml (¼ teaspoon) ground nutmeg
- 1 onion, diced
- 125 ml (½ cup) dry white wine
- 1 liter (4 cups) no-salt-added vegetable broth
- 410 ml (14 ounces) no-salt-added pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) chopped fresh rosemary
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 60 ml (¼ cup) roasted, salted peanuts, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl mix carrots, celery root, parsnips and sweet potatoes with 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil, 2 ml (½ teaspoon) salt, pepper, cinnamon, paprika and nutmeg. Transfer to baking sheet in a single layer and roast until they are fork-tender, about 25 minutes.
3. Heat the remaining 15 ml (1 tablespoon) oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and allow to brown, 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
4. Add wine and cook until it is reduced by half, 3-5 minutes.
5. Add broth and beans and bring to a boil. Add the roasted vegetables. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
6. Add rosemary and parsley to the stew, remove from heat. Add to serving bowls and garnish with peanuts.