Sunflower Spinach Pie
This recipe can be prepared with pre-made store bought phyllo dough or you can use the recipe provided here and run the dough through a pasta machine to make thin sheets.
For the pastry dough:
- 240 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 59 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) salt
For the filling:
- 680 grams (1 1/2 pounds) baby spinach, rinsed and dried
- 340 grams (12 ounces wt) ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 118 ml (1/2 cup) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Poppy seeds, as needed
- 1 large egg
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) milk
- For the pastry dough: Mix flour, oil, and salt together in a bowl, scraping down the sides, until oil is spread throughout. Slowly add 237 ml (1 cup) of warm water, being sure to scrape bowl and to not over work.
2. Shape the dough into a ball. Divide into two pieces. Use a floured rolling pin to roll them thinly, and put them through a pasta maker to make thin sheets. Place the rolled dough on a baking sheet with a layer of parchment paper between them. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. For the filling: In a large bowl mix spinach with the ricotta. Add egg and the parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
4. For assembly: Preheat the oven to 177°C (350°F). Spread out one sheet of dough and cut into a large disk; use a large plate to get a nice round shape if needed. Sprinkle dough with poppy seeds.
5. Make an egg wash by beating together the egg and milk; set aside. Spread a large spoonful of filling in the center of the dough. Spread the remaining filling in a ring around the dough, leaving a gap of about 2.5 cm (1 inch) from the center filling and 2.5 cm (1 inch) from the edges. Brush edges with egg wash and press to seal the edges.
6. Top with the second sheet of dough, covering the filling. Tuck over the center mound of filling (you can use a bowl to create a nice round). Seal the edges while leaving the bowl over the center. Then, with a knife, cut slices from the outside going towards the center but don’t go all the way to the bowl. Cut 20 slices or so; the slices determine petal and serving sizes.
7. Twist the slices slightly so the filling is face up. Remove the bowl and brush the entire surface with egg wash. Sprinkle poppy seeds in the center. Bake until light golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Serve warm.