Spiral Curry Puffs
For the Filling:
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 113 grams (1/4 pound) ground chicken or ground turkey
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) curry powder for meat
- 1 sprig curry leaves, about 10 leaves
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, boiled, and cubed
- 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) seasoning for chicken
- 7.5 ml (1 1/2 teaspoons) salt
For the Water Dough:
- 237 ml (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 7.5 ml (1 1/2 teaspoons) granulated sugar
- 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) salt
- 37.5 ml (2 1/2 tablespoons) vegetable oil
- 52.5 ml (3 1/2 tablespoons) cold water
For the Fat Dough:
- 74 ml (5 tablespoons) all-purpose flour
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 liter (1 quart) canola oil
- For the Filling: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and saute until fragrant and translucent, 2 – 3 minutes. Add ground meat and stir until the meat is half cooked. Add curry powder and curry leaves. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to stir until the meat is browned; do not add water as the filling should be dry.
2. Add the potatoes and stir to combine. Add chicken seasoning and season with salt to taste. Transfer to a heatproof bowl and set aside to cool. The filling may be used immediately or covered and refrigerated until needed.
3. For the Water Dough: In a mixing bowl, sieve together the flour, sugar and salt. Make a well in the center, add in a little oil and alternate with cold water. Bring the dough together and knead for about 5 – 8 minutes. When the dough looks glossy, it is ready. roll it like a ball, cover it with cling wrap and let it rest for 20 minutes.
4. For the Fat Dough: In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and butter. Knead together to make a dough. Cover and allow to rest until needed, at least 15 minutes.
5. To assemble the curry puffs: Cut the water dough into 3 pieces about 85 grams (3 ounces) each. Roll each piece into a ball. Cover the balls with cling wrap to prevent drying, and allow to rest for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, divide the fat dough into 2 pieces about 34 grams (1.2 ounces) each. Roll each piece into a ball, and cover with cling wrap.
6. Flatten one piece of the water dough with a rolling pin, rolling it into a rough rectangle. Do the same with one piece of fat dough, lying it on top of the water dough and sealing the edges. Roll it into a ball and place it with the seam side down. Repeat with remaining balls of dough. Cover them with cling wrap and set aside to rest for 15 minutes.
7. Now take a dough ball and place it on a work surface with the seam side up. Roll into a rectangle. Starting from the middle, roll the rectangle up and down to create a longer rectangular strip of dough. Then starting from the top end, roll the dough tightly to form a log. With the seam side up, give the log a 90 degrees turn and start rolling the dough again, from the middle, to create a long strip again. Repeat the procedure by starting from the top end, rolling it very tightly to form a log. Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces. Cover and set aside, and repeat with remaining dough.
8. Take one piece of dough with the spiral facing up, sprinkle with some flour to prevent it cracking, and use a rolling pin to roll it out flat and thin into an oval shape. Put 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of filling in the center, and fold the dough together to make a crescent. Seal the edges by pinching it tight. Hold the dough and use the thumb to fold in the edge starting from one end, twist it with the pointer finger and tuck in to make it like a chain. Repeat the procedure and finish it on the other end, twist and tuck in to seal it. The puff should look like a crescent with a chain on top.
9. Prepare a pot with about 1 liter (1 quart) canola oil heated to 160-170°C (320-338°F). Working in batches if necessary, place the curry puffs slowly into the pot one by one without crowding. Fry them 7 -8 minutes, turning as necessary, until they are golden brown. Remove and drain on a platter lined with paper towels. Serve warm with tea or coffee. The pastry remains crispy even on the next day! Enjoy.