This recipe is featured in Mason Jar Salads and More: 50 Layered Lunches to Grab & Go
Colorful with lots of protein and antioxidants, this hearty salad will keep you satisfied until dinnertime. You can step it up a notch with a little hot sauce in your salad dressing if you want to make things interesting.
- Servings Makes 1 serving
For the Salad
- 3 tablespoons Lime Vinaigrette
- ½ cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ red vine-ripened tomato, diced
- ¼ red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ yellow bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup diced avocado (optional)
- ½ cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 ounce Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 quart-size Mason jar
For the Lime Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- pinch of salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- dash of hot sauce (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Whisk together the lime juice, cilantro, salt, pepper, and hot sauce (if using). Slowly add the olive oil, whisking, until the dressing thickens.
To assemble the salad:
Start by pouring the vinaigrette dressing into the Mason jar. Then layer in the black beans, tomato, bell peppers, avocado, and corn. Finish with the salad greens and, finally, the Cheddar cheese. Seal and refrigerate until ready to use.