The Real Bakewell Pudding
This recipe is featured in Christmas Dinner in Derbyshire
- 113 grams (4 ounces) butter
- 113 grams (4 ounces) sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- Almond flavoring, to taste
- All-butter puff pastry dough
- Raspberry jam
- Heavy cream, for serving
1. Cream the butter and sugar, add the egg yolks, and beat thoroughly.
2. Put in a jar in a pan of water and let it boil until it is as thick as cream.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool. When nearly cold add almond flavoring.
4. Line a pastry tin with an all-butter puff pastry.
5. Spread with a layer of raspberry jam, and cover with the mixture.
6. Bake in a quick oven (190-204°C/375-400°F) for about 30 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
7. Serve warm or cold with cream.