Portuguese Stewed Chicken
This recipe is featured in A Love of Tomatoes
- Prep 30 minutes
- Servings 4 to 6
- 59 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large very-ripe tomato, peeled, seeded, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 7.5 ml (1½ teaspoons) paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 118 ml (½ cup) white wine
- 1 kg to 1.3 kg (2½ to 3 pounds) skinless chicken legs and thighs
- 300 grams (1½ cups) converted rice or other long grain
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) coarse salt, or to taste
- 1.25 ml (¼ teaspoon) black pepper, or to taste
- 80 grams (½ cup) fresh or frozen green peas
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) finely chopped parsley
1. Heat the oil in a 4.7 liter (5-quart) Dutch oven. Add the onions and sauté until lightly golden, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Stir in tomato, paprika, garlic, and bay leaf. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the tomatoes are soft and partially dissolved, about 15 minutes.
3. Pour in the wine, if using, and simmer for 2 more minutes. Add the chicken and 828 ml (3 1/2 cups) water, or as needed to just cover the chicken. Cover the pot tightly and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.